Breast augmentation or enhancement is a surgical treatment done to improve the overall appearance of your breasts. Breasts can change shape and size due to a variety of reasons. The most common reasons are breastfeeding, injury, illness, fluctuating body weight, or genetic causes.
Each type of implant or procedure has its pros and cons. A professional plastic surgeon will take factors such as your age, body, and health into account before giving you his expert opinion regarding which one is best for you. If you meet the minimum age requirements and are relatively healthy, you will be able to take advantage of all breast augmentation services.
Types of Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation comes in several different types. Choosing one will depend on your needs. Your plastic surgeon will do a complete exam and discuss which option is right for you. The following are examples of available breast augmentation procedures:
Saline implants involve placing a hollow shell containing sterile saline solution to get the desired shape and size. Breast size and shape are altered by changing the quantity of saline solution. Saline implants have been around since the 1960s, making them one of the first breast implant methods. Since the saline solution is added after the surgery, it is possible to adjust the amount and get perfect symmetry with saline implants. Saline implants are available for anyone above the age of 18. Saline implants can last as long as 20 years and are often the least expensive options.
Silicone implants are made with gel. What makes silicone a popular alternative is that they are available in a variety of sizes and textures. Silicone implants became so popular that most people immediately associate breast augmentation with silicone implants. The main reason for their popularity is that silicone implants have a similar texture to human fat. Most people agree that silicone implants accomplish a more natural look.
Gummy Bear Implants
These implants are a variation of silicone gel implants. Even though gummy bear implants have been around for a few decades, they have only recently become popular. The term “gummy bear” is a non-scientific nickname for a highly cohesive type of silicone gel. The benefit of gummy bear implants is their strength and low rupture rate.
Natural augmentation involves transferring fat from one part of the body to the breasts. It is a type of liposuction procedure. Compared to other alternatives, natural augmentation is often desirable since it does not leave behind scars. Natural augmentation is a popular alternative for breastfeeding mothers.
How to Prepare for a Breast Augmentation
If you’re considering breast augmentation surgery, here are a few tips to help you get ready for your transformative surgery:
- Schedule your consultation with your plastic surgeon to discuss the breast augmentation procedure.
- Your surgeon will conduct a physical examination and also evaluate your medical history.
- The surgical team will explain what the breast augmentation procedure entails, including the kind of implant, incision location, size of the implant, potential complications, and recovery.
- During the consultation, your surgeon will help you set realistic expectations for recovery and results.
- Before the surgery, your team will recommend that you stop certain habits like smoking and also avoid specific OTC medications to limit the risk of bleeding.
- After the surgery, strictly follow the team’s directions for faster recovery.
- Arrange for help and have someone care for you at home for the first few days after your surgery.
The breast augmentation procedure can take approximately one to three hours, depending on the type of surgery. After close monitoring in the recovery area, you can go home after about an hour. Here is a brief overview of the process:
- The surgeon administers either general or intravenous anesthesia
- The next step is making the right type of incision depending on the size of breast enhancement, type of implant, anatomy, and preference
- After the incision, the surgeon will insert the implant in either a sub-glandular or sub-mammary placement
- The doctor then closes the incisions with sutures to complete the procedure
Breast Augmentation Aftercare
It typically takes six to eight weeks for a full recovery. There are a few issues to expect after your breast augmentation. They include swelling, bruising, numbness, and mild to moderate pain. However, with proper aftercare, you can significantly reduce your healing time. Use these simple tips:
- While you are healing, use a sports bra or compression bandage for additional positioning and support of the new implants.
- Ensure you don’t remove your dressings until your next day follow-up appointment.
- Take the pain and antibiotic medications as prescribed.
- Follow the doctor’s instructions. Be sure to relax at home and give yourself time before returning to physical activities.
- Always go to the follow-up examinations and ask any questions about the breast augmentation.
Professional Breast Augmentation in Bellevue, WA
Gavin Dry, M.D., FRCPS, PLLC, offers expert breast augmentation in Bellevue, WA. Regardless of your reason for breast augmentation, Dr. Dry tailors each surgical procedure to match your needs and bring about natural-looking results. When you visit our state-of-the-art clinic, we can take care of all your cosmetic surgery needs, including breast augmentation and facelifts. Call us today for more information!