Sometimes, routine exercise and a healthy diet aren’t enough to eliminate excess skin and improve weak muscles. This can result from years of significant weight fluctuation, pregnancy, genetics, and aging. If this sounds like your situation, tummy tuck treatments may be your answer!
Also known as an abdominoplasty, this surgery is designed to help you achieve a flatter abdomen and slimmer-looking physique. The procedure involves removing additional skin and fat from the stomach area. To discover more, continue reading below!
What Tummy Tuck Treatment Can Do
When considering a treatment, it is essential to have realistic expectations. With abdominoplasty, you can often expect the following:
- Firmer Tummy – While a well-balanced diet and regular exercise are good ways to help correct weak abdominal muscles, they cannot always treat concerns involving skin and muscle laxity. Abdominoplasty surgery removes excess skin and fat while tightening underlying stomach muscles for a firmer midsection.
- Tighter Core Muscles – Loose skin is a common concern in women after pregnancy. This is often due to significant separation and weakening of the stomach muscles over nine months. This is also known as diastasis recti, and it can lead to a pooched or swollen abdominal appearance. During a tummy tuck, stomach muscles are tightened once again for stronger core.
- Slimmer Contours & Curves – Abdominoplasty targets the muscles and skin specifically. While it does not directly focus on excess fat pockets, you can enhance the treatment with liposuction to get the results you want. Combining these two procedures at once often results in a slimmer appearance that highlights your body’s curves and contours.
What Abdominoplasty Surgery Can't Do
Tummy tuck treatment is not a substitute for regular exercise or an appropriate alternative for weight loss. While your results are permanent, the positive outcome can change with significant weight fluctuations.
If you plan for extensive weight loss or pregnancy, postpone having the procedure done. The procedure cannot completely fix stretch marks, but some will be removed along with the excess skin.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Treatment?
If you are an adult in good overall health, this surgery may be right for you. Women who have had several children can achieve a tighter, firmer abdomen once more. The treatment is also ideal if you lose a significant amount of weight, and now have loose and excess skin around your stomach.
Full Tummy Tuck
A full or traditional tummy tuck is ideal if you have excess skin and separated or weak abdominal muscles above and below your belly button. It can also:
- Improve posture
- Reduce back pain and bloating
- Make exercise more effective
Mini Tummy Tuck
This technique is ideal if you do not require as much skin removal or muscle correction. This technique requires the shortest recovery time. It involves removing skin and repairing muscles below the navel.
Extended Tummy Tuck
Extended surgery is most often performed after several pregnancies or if you have undergone substantial weight loss. This procedure removes significant amounts of excess skin and fat on the hips and thighs.
Preparing for Your Tummy Tuck
If you are a smoker, you will need to quit for two weeks before and after your surgery. This is essential because smoking can cause complications and slows proper healing. Remain on a well-balanced diet filled with nutrients and eat complete meals, especially before your procedure. A healthy diet often promotes better healing.
Be sure to inform your plastic surgeon about any medications you are taking. These include prescription drugs, herbal supplements, and other medications. Before surgery, make sure to stock your home with the following:
- Ice packs
- Comfortable, loose clothing that you can put on and take off easily
- Bathroom chair
- Hand-held shower head
- Petroleum jelly
You will need a trusted family member or friend to drive you to and from your procedure and stay with you the night after your surgery as well.
How Do I Take Care of Myself After Surgery?
Regardless of which treatment you have done, you need to follow all post-surgery care instructions provided by your plastic surgeon. He or she will also inform you on positions to help keep you as comfortable as possible while sleeping. Be sure to limit all strenuous activity for the first six weeks to ensure proper recovery.
Enjoying Your Results
Typically, most individuals love how they look and feel after a tummy tuck. Just as with any surgery, this takes time. Feeling normal after surgery can take up to several months. Once healed, you can enjoy the tighter, slimmer appearance you deserve. Diet and exercise can also help you maintain your results.
At Gavin Dry, MD, FRCPS, PLLC, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your ideal figure with tummy tuck treatment. We have served Bellevue and the surrounding communities for many years, providing innovative techniques that produce stunning results. No matter your reason for surgery, our experienced team is here to help! Contact our Bellevue cosmetic plastic surgery office today to get started!